Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Cathedral and the Alarm Clocks

- A fictional short story type poem -

As the sunset reflects its beautiful last-minute goodbyes on my wallpaper, I am reminded of the old, abandoned cathedral out west that my grandfather always took us to explore. It's dark, dusty appearance sticks out in my mind when I close my eyes, as the clouds cover the last wave of sunbeam.

One glance out my window reveals my suppressed desire to discover it's every room, every crevice, uncovering each hidden memory of the time it was once loved. Every book, every hymnal that stands tall upon the bookshelf and behind every pew is frozen in time, no longer remembering it's very existence.

My balcony is a resting place where I find my solitude, but I must confess--even this can become a cacophony of loud clamor when one is used to it. This hamlet in which I reside is full of alarm clocks demanding the attention of its occupants. With each time comes new woes, and loss of brief companions. Where must we go when all is lost or missing?

Will we answer the alarm clocks?

No comments:

Post a Comment